My writing model search
Patricia
Riley
The assignment was to read two articles, Feross
Aboukhadiejeh’s “How I Learned to Program Computers” and Joshua J. Romero’s
“How I Learned to Live Google-Free” and to write about how I might use those as
models for my first paper.
The first article by Feross Aboukhadiejeh was written, I
thought, by someone who spoke in a very simple, straight-forward manner. The writer gave a brief outline of the
subject and then went right on to discuss the order in which his computer
programming education proceeded. He provided links to everything of
significance so that the reader could verify his research. Each
section was headlined in Bold to catch the attention of the reader. Also key
words and phrases were set in Bold to bring important points or ideas to the
reader. I liked that he seemed to be
talking to the reader instead merely writing an article. For me that makes it easier and more pleasant
to read and remember what is written. It
was also helpful to see what he was talking about when he inserted pictures of
the websites he created so that he could show the reader the evolution that
took place as his skills increased.
The article “How I Learned to Live Google-Free” was very
detailed and well thought-out. While it
was more like reading a magazine article than the first writer I did like
Joshua Romero’s style of writing. First
he laid out the issue and why he chose to take the course that he did. He inserted comments from people that were
relevant to the subject as well as linking to sites that validated his
references. Some paragraphs began with a
question which he then proceeded to answer.
He progressed from the problem or issue of the article to the reasons
for his action and the course he took to solve it.
These are good examples for me to use when I choose a
subject for my paper. I do think that
the subject may have a lot to do with what style of writing I choose. For me there are actually not too many
educational experiences I can draw from that will provide me with enough
substance to write a paper that meets the instructor’s criteria. The first two that come to mind would benefit
more from being written in the style of Feross Aboukhadiejeh but the experience
that had the most profound impact on my life would be better told in the style
of Joshua Romero as I believe it would allow me the freedom to write my paper
more creatively.
Excellent observations!
ReplyDeleteReading this, I realize that I didn't consider how the writer was addressing the audience. I'll have to put some more thought into that when I do start writing my essay. Thanks for addressing that.
ReplyDeleteGood points!!
ReplyDelete