Question 2. Why do you think that Gatto continued to teach for 31 years? What do you think he sees as his own role in public education? Write out 5 sentences from his text that you can use to support your answers.
We(Lucus and I) felt that Gatto continued to teach because he did recognize that boredom was a problem in the public school system and he felt maybe that he had a different perspective than most teachers in regards to the boredom that students and teachers alike felt. He had a different understanding of the school system.
Our five sentences do not necessarily support what Gatto did to relieve the boredom but more it explains why and how our school system got that way.
1. Speaking of his grandfather, "one afternoon when I was seven I complained to him of boredom and he batted me hard on the head. He told me I was never to use that term in his presence again, that if I was bored it was my own fault and no one else's." "That episode cured me of boredom forever, and here and there over the years I was able to pass on the lesson to some remarkable student."
2. "They(the kids) said the teachers didn't seem to know much about their subjects and clearly weren't interested in learning more. And the kids were right: their teachers were every bit as bored as they were"
3. "When asked why they(the teachers), the teachers tend to blame the kids, as you might expect. Who wouldn't get bored teaching students who are rude and interested only in grades? If even that. Of course, teachers are themselves products of the same twelve-year compulsory school programs that so thoroughly bore their students, and as school personnel they are trapped inside structures even more rigid than those imposed upon the children."
4 . "I had more than enough reason to think of our schools - with their long-term, cell-block-style, forced confinement of both students and teachers - as virtual factories of childishness."
5. "My own experience had revealed to me what many other teachers must learn along the way, too, yet keep to themselves for fear of reprisal: if we wanted to we could easily and inexpensively jettison the old, stupid structures and help kids take an education rather than merely receive a schooling ".
No comments:
Post a Comment