As I may have mentioned before I do not have a good enough recollection of two teachers from my own schooling to write a paper on so I will be writing about two fictional characters.
While I enjoyed Robin Williams' portrayal of Mr. Keating in "Dead Poets Society" I think I may end up writing about Ms. Watson from "Mona Lisa Smile". Mr. Escalante will of course be one of the teachers - there is so much to draw from in that movie.
Ms. Watson is a young and unmarried art teacher who arrives at Wellesley College in Maine with the hope of teaching a group of privileged college women to love art. I think she expected them to be a bit more progressive than they turned out to be. The college women were only there to earn a degree until they got married and built their lives around their husbands and children. As the movie was set in the 1950's that was what was expected from a lot of women of the time. Ms. Watson moved to Maine from California where women were not so tied to a mans success and they felt they were perfectly capable of making a different type of contribution to society than by marrying and having children. Just guessing here....
So there it is - my paper will be on Mr. Escalante from "Stand and Deliver" and Ms. Watson from "Mona Lisa Smile" I reserve my right to change my mind.
My thesis statement is ..........to be revealed in an upcoming post.
No comments:
Post a Comment