Monday, October 21, 2013

Audre Lorde

I enjoyed reading the chapter from Zami by Audre Lorde.  Her writing is very descriptive to  where the reader can see the book being played out in their mind - at least I can! 
When Audre was in kindergarten and did not write the first letter of her name the way the teacher instructed and she wrote "All of a sudden the air around her hand beside my notebook grew very still and frightening"  you just knew what was coming was not going to be good.  She(Audre) continues with "Well, I never!"  Her voice was sharp. "I thought I told you to draw this letter?" 
It continues......
I pictured an tall, thin, shrewish woman with no compassion.  Audres writing was so effective at making the reader envision not only the tone of the speaker but also planted bits in my mind about what that person might look like.  Maybe that is just the way I read but it does make for a more interesting experience when I can imagine what each character would look like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment