The assignment was to read and then compare and contrast the
writing of Malcolm X and Mike Rose.
Their articles “Learning to Read” and “I Just Wanna Be Average” respectively
were supposed to be about their experiences in learning.
Malcolm X talks about
where he learned to read and the excitement (passion) he got out of reading and
learning. I think he also wanted to convey
to the reader why he became so passionate about reading and unfortunately it
tended to divert the subject of the article into a history lesson on how
horribly his race had been and continued to be treated thru- out the
world.
Mike Rose on the other hand wrote a very colorful article
that was upbeat and read more like a good story. It was crafted in such a way that I felt like
I was reading a good work of fiction and not the day to day life of a student. He was able to stay on topic while inserting
interesting and vivid descriptions of his classmates and teachers that added to
the richness of his story.
In comparing the two articles, I would have to say that I
think both writers wrote how they thought. Malcolm X even after becoming educated still
had a lot of his old speaking habits left that flowed into his writing. His writing was depressing. I do realize that had to do with the
circumstances of his life and what happened that got him put in prison. Mike Rose on the other hand seems to have
come from a fairly rough upbringing and was still able to project a more
imaginative story for the reader.
On the entertainment or stimulation factor, Mike Roses style of writing wins with me. It was more interesting and it held my interest so much that I read well past the noted stopping point.
No comments:
Post a Comment