Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My favorite Educational Narrative

The Educational Narrative I liked the most was Mike Roses "I Just Wanna Be Average".  While the topic of his writing is serious he presented it in a colorful and entertaining way.
 I prefer to read fiction.  In fact I have to really focus and remove any distractions when I have to read non fiction.  I did not have that problem with Mike Rose.  I found that I  wanted to continue reading as much as I could as he writes in such a way that the reader feels that they are with him as he goes thru life at Our Lady of Mercy. 
"And then there was Ken Harvey. Ken was good-looking in a puffy way and had a full and oily ducktail and was a car enthusiast. . . a hodad"
  It is statements like this that bring the story out so vividly.  I pictured someone like Vinnie from the original Grease movie when I read this. 
There is just so much detail that is woven into the story.  That is what stuck out with me, that I could be transported to that bus that took Mike to school and the feeling that  I was sitting in the back of the classroom when
"One day Billy lost it. Out of the comer of my eye I saw him strike out with his right arm and catch Dweetz across the neck. Quick as a spasm, Dweetz was out of his seat, scattering desks, cracking Billy on the side of the head, right behind the eye."

Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment