The most important thing I ever learned was that I am the only person that can make me happy.
After being married for 26 years and having three children I thought that they(my husband and sons) could make me happy by returning my affection. This is not true. They did return my love but not the way I gave it out and that ticked me off. I wanted them to want the same things for them that I wanted. I wanted my boys to grow up, be happy and successful at whatever they chose to do. I wanted them to appreciate me and the things that I thought were important.
What I found out was that there was nothing they could do if I was not personally happy with myself.
Why is this the most important lesson:
It is the most important lesson because at the end of the day I have to look myself in the mirror and ask if I have done my best. If I did not do my best than what can I do tomorrow to make it a successful day. No one else is responsible for my happiness and no one can do anything that will make me happy. If I am not happy it is a choice I have made - sometimes not consciously but a choice all the same.
Sad lesson, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteI love the colors you are using for your blog. A slightly bolder or darker font may make it easier on the eyes.
A lovely piece. It reminds me of the song "Inner Strength" by Hilary Duff.
ReplyDelete